Friday, March 14, 2008

Parking lot interference

I went to the ranch market and every time I go grocery shopping alone, I hurry up and put my bags in the car as fast as I can (i'm paranoid after reading reports of how women are abducted, attacked, etc when they are most vulnerable). And of course I am approached by a homeless man!
This man was clean, had a rolled up sleeping bag in one hand and a travel bag in the other- I quickly take my cart and he asks for a quarter, i look at him and say "no" and hurry back to my car.
I hear him say "You don't have a quarter?" He most likely thought i was lying.
I go to my car because my purse as big as it is, is impossible to dig through at moments like this (plus gives the perp a chance to grab my wallet and run if i start digging in front of him). My intention is to dig out - NOT a quarter but a dollar-
I drive to him and say:
JC: "Here you go" and before I can wish him well,
I thought I would get the usual: "thank you","god bless you","have a great day"....

Man: sarcastically says "Dont worry I'm not gonna do nothing to ya"- in an irrate tone
JC: I snap back "You should be thankful"
Man: "WHY - YOU WANT YOUR DOLLAR BACK!"

The thoughts in my head are : Freekin A**HOLE!
In that case hell yeah give me my hard earned working dollar back!

Then, I just think of his unfortunate soul, wandering the streets for money and who knows where he would sleep- I would be crabby too- but he acted like i owed him this money- so petty.

THAT is why I tell Juan how I dont like to grocery shop alone anywhere, Trader Joes, Ralphs, Albertson's, Food 4 Less, etc- people always approach me for money AND take advantage of my kindness - like when they ask for spare change, i give them dollars, when they ask for a dollar i give 1.50- I think the news have spread and they just look out for me.

Yes I am paranoid! another time I was putting my little girls in the car and when I turned this tall, husky asian man grabbed my cart and said - " I will help you", not "can I help you"- I said "no thank you"very nicely - he looked at me and again said "I WILL HELP YOU" in a demanding tone - I said "no thank you" firmly,- he looked so mad

I will not help you when my number 1 priority is the safety of my children! I will give you money just dont come at me all mad and crazy with that bullying look- because I can kick your ass man!

signed,
disgruntled grocery shopper, who just wants to get in her car and go :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can I get a buck lady? I'm down on my luck and the CIA put a chip in my brain

diana said...

LOL!
Well, I never ever ever have cash so, when I say "I don't have any $$$", it's true. These homeless guys need to start accepting debit or credit... LOL.