Friday, June 26, 2009

Sibling Rivalry

I had a huge disagreement with one of my sisters last month. Cant go into details, long story , still too raw to discuss. We haven’t talked in one month…
Here I go again defending my parents and engaging in fair battle, but got sideswiped by an emotional disgruntled sibling.
I do not like being taken for granted. But it seems like whenever big sis intervenes, im just being bossy. Um hello what else can I be! I was raised to watch out for them. I don’t tell them how to run their lives, I give my input when asked. They all turn to me, including my mother for an ear to listen because I think outside the box and give a different outlook. I’m older, I‘ve been married longer, I have older kids- but I don’t think I am a know it all.

When one is stubborn and the other one turns her head and wont get involved, despite the many times I come to the rescue, it hurts.

I have an over-sensitive sister on one side and a firecracker on the other- because im so passive with them-when they tick me off- I go off. I told my momma- deal with your kids, im the innocent bystander that gets shot! But you know why they shoot me, because they expect me to fight, silly rabbits…
The Christian in me has developed a forgiving attitude, to pace myself and K.M.S. (keep mouth shut if u cant say something pleasant).

After a cool off period, I said “Regardless of our fight, you are my sister and you need me, and I will be there…”

Be kind when someone is unkind, don’t make it a battle (#30 in Christian ways to reduce stress)

Yes it bothers me that we had this fight, we rarely fight, it happens I know. They don’t owe me anything, sisterhood is in me, and they are parts of me that make up my other half.


I think I will dub myself the family Martyr- Im like the godfather…can’t refuse to help, not easily broken.

2 comments:

diana said...

What a heartfelt post.

Can't relate, don't have any sisters!

I hope they learn to appreciate their older sis! :)

susana said...

OMG...i haven't checked out my blogspot in a while & just saw this update. Having sisters or in my case a sister is great and does have it's ups & downs. But i completely know how you feel, sandra & I always say how i should of been the older sister (no explanation needed! :)) You guys all need eachother and I really hope you guys get over this little bump, it's never worth it to hold out on family!